This (1) one day course is designed to improve the off-road driving skills at any experience level.
Class starts @ 8:00 am at our facility, (please arrive by 7:30) and plan on getting wet & dirty.
Students will learn:
- Different terrain surfaces: gravel, top soil, grass, hard packed clay and shale rock
- How to read and change driving techniques based on vehicle language
- Approach and departure angles
- Suspension variables and the importance of planning prior to negotiating an obstacle
- To identify components both underneath and in the engine compartment of a vehicle and what needs to be protected
- Understanding of driver/vehicle relationship
- Vehicle language, weight and traction transfer, body position, hand management and pedal control
- The challenges of high and low frequency bumps and the problems each can create
- The challenges of smoothly negotiating a variety of obstacles: rocks, stumps, ditches, dry creek beds, logs, ruts, hills, mud and top soil
- How to build a road with available materials in order to overcome an obstacle
- Necessity and techniques of using a ground guide
- How to employ all the necessary pieces of equipment to recover a downed or stuck vehicle in a single or multi-vehicle situation